Ïîìîùü - Ïîèñê - Ó÷àñòíèêè - Õàðèçìà - Êàëåíäàðü
Ïåðåéòè ê ïîëíîé âåðñèè: Mists of Areinor
<% AUTHURL %>
Ïðèêë.îðã > Ñëîâåñíûå ðîëåâûå èãðû > Áîëüøîé Àðõèâ ïðèêëþ÷åíèé > çàáûòûå ïðèêëþ÷åíèÿ <% AUTHFORM %>
Ñòðàíèöû: 1, 2
Parkan
(guest starring Daelinn)

The woman did not move. All ears, she was just looking at Greenstone, greenish flashes danced in her eyes in time with the trembling light of candles. There was a pause. Then at last she spoke.
"Well, sounds like an acute insight awakes in you, but there is no way to control it. As for the animals – intuition is part of their nature, thanks to which they live. As well as some smaller part of yours."
"Perhaps", Eugene shrugged his shoulders. "Besides, these are not too hard or dangerous to test. But there is one more thing, one much greater."
Greenstone paused again, running his fingers through his short hair, obviously lacking the right words to describe this "one much greater". Finally he spoke again:
"Did you see a mirror in your childhood, Seril? Did you ever dream of getting behind the glass or polished metal surface, into the hidden and strange realm of reflections? I did."
The mercenary winced, as if remembering some long past pain.
"And once my dreams came true. I... fell? slipped? squeezed through?.. well, found myself on the other side. Strange place it was. Is. Hard to describe... Another world, the land of spirits of all kinds of things. Just knew it when saw those mists, those starless skies with huge moon. Yes, the land of spirits."
The mercenary sighed deeply.
"I like to go there once in a while, though. Mirrors are a rare commodity, but any reflecting surface will do, even water. Sometimes it is harder to make it through... hm... "the border", sometimes easier – usually in places like that pond where we met this morning."
Seril looked surprised. More than anyone had ever seen her to be.
ÍåêðîÏåõîòà
Thanks to Îëîðèí, who helped me to write this

"Stand right there. I have to search your wagons. "
"Cant you just let me in? You know me since I was born, Kerwin."
"Aye, Diego, but I have orders, you know. "
"Right, orders. Go ahead, lets just finish it, I am not intended to waste whole day chanting with you."
"So do you have something illegal?"
"Your mom, idiot. Only soap, clothes, parfume - as usual!"
Half an hour later.
"Hm, you know, just a personal opinion…"
"Priest will hear your confess. Let me pass! "
"Fine! Soldiers, open the gates."

Areinor. Yet an another big hole devouring money, efforts and eventualy lives. Don’t be a fool and just pass away, it won’t give you anything in return. That’s probably the reason for Diego to use any fair opportunity to run away from here. Ofcouse the fair opportunity implies some certain profit. Gold.
Unfortunately no matter how the gold leads, Diego always returns back. To his home.

He followed the main road straight to artisan quarters. Sun was slowly staggering through the cloudless sky. The day hasn’t even started yet, but heat was already torturing Diego. Though sun dispersed usual crowds, blocking the road, so the merchant was in the good mood, from time to time lazily lashing horses and whistling some unpretentious tune.
Finaly he reached the huge block of warehouses. The aura of stinch surrounding could knock a horse off its feet but Diego was used it since very childhood.
"Maaartiiin! Come out, ye rat!"
A minute after a small, round person with shining bold spot came out.
"Sweet Jesus! Diego, yer back!"
"Aye, Martin."
Keeper of storages cunningly squinted.
"I bet ye have something fer me, aye?" he asked.
"Definetely so, you realy thought I missed your mug so much to throw away all my plans," genialy chuckled Diego, "and run to see you?"
"Hehheh, ye bastard ain’t changed at all. "
"Why should I?.. but lets get straight to business. Can I use your storages? I have to run few meetings before selling all these stuff and I don’t want to bounce around with two wagons at my side. "
"Oy, ofcouzze, ye know the price, don’t ye?"
"Yea, just keep your dirty hands off my goodies and I’ll pay you."

For a while Diego was mindlessly wondering through city streets, enjoying the nostalgia feeling. He was away for a year but nothing really changed. He even could swear that cats and dogs rushing around were simply the same.
Eventually he fond himself standing right before the door of the antiquary. His old – from very childhood – good friend Edwin was in running it. Good business, aye.
"Why not?.. In fact, he is nearly the only person I was missing all the time," Diego mumbled to himself. He opened the door and freezed at the threshhold. Edwin was standing at the post, just as usual.
"Dear friend! Long time no see!"
"Diego? Hello, I’am glad to see you!.. But it seemed to me, you were not in Areinor, weren’t you?"
Diego stepped in, reached the post and shaked Edwin’s hand.
"You’r right, I was away for some stuff trip," he continued with dull voice " you know, soaps, pencils, clothes… Not a very big fish, though suits me for now. But how does your business run?"
"My business? Well, pretty good. You see, my good are quite popular among local nobles. Less useful than your soap maybe, but I don't regret" - Edwin smiled.
"Yea, the day will come and my soap will save the world!" Diego let out a heartly chuckle "well, dont you mind leaving your shore for a hour?.. In fact I feel such a thirst - I could drink a river!"
"Great idea! But... O, wait for a moment, please" - Edwin called his servant and told him to stay in the shop in order to take the money from lord Kessertin, which was intended to bring them soon. Than Clanter returned to his friend and they left the antiquary.
They wasted some time trying to find a decent hole to drop an anchor and finaly ended under the board labeled “Headless chicken”. All hesitations were thrown away and friends finaly entered it.
“Headless chicken” turned out to be a quite clean for a usual type of inns spot, weitress with a cute face were boucning around with mugs and plates. Nearly all tables were occupied, but Edwin managed to notice a free place in the very corner.
"Hey, bartender! Give us something o drink, fast!" cryed out Diego, "It burns like in Hell outside... God forgive me my blasphemy."
After a short while mugs appeared on the table.
"So I bet lot of things has happened around while away." after a long sip, asked Diego, "care to tell?.."
"Well, when something happens it seems important, but then it looks like just a routine," Edwin started "so, nothing changed seriously... If you are interested in affairs of Rosa, I can tell you than Their Majesties are still allright, Prince John's nearly OK. They say, that the Royal healer is a brilliant doctor... Lord Kessertin is still King's Counsellour. By the way, I had a very profitable though a bit mysterious deal with His Lordship," Clanter retold to his friend the morning's events.
"You always were a lucky bastard, you know," an empty mug was thrown away "As I see its just olde Areinor, same as always... you know, sometimes I simply think that I should settle down, find a wife, make a family" Diego yawned dreamily "heh, what about you? Found a hot lassie, no?"
"You always ask the same question. But nothing..."
"Hey, guys!" A not sober stranger without any request took a place at their table. "I heard, you were discussing court affairs? Then you should be interested in the fact that the King was..." he made a dramatic pause and whispered loudly "Poisoned! Yes-yes, I know it exactly! My nephew is a friend of a guy whose brother workes at the palace, so you can believe me. Could you byu me a glass of wine?"
Edwin looked at him in amazement.
"Poisoned?.. How can ever be possible?.. Wait…" Diego waved at bartender "hey, somebody, bring some ale for my buddy!
A minute later, when a weitress brought another portion of ale, Diego continued:
"So, what were you talking about, friend?.. poisoned?"
"Yes, naturally poisoned!" he drank some ale taking pleasure in his interlocutors' attention. "There was a real plot! And the leader of it is Prince, yeah... He ordered Luana, the Royal Healer, to make a poison. And the chef gave it to Their Majesties. They say, that lord Kessertin is going to hang everybody who is suspected. He is looking for conspirators. Many of them are outside the Rosa Palace. Even some foreighners... " he was ready to accuse everyone.
"Santa Maria! I hope that wont hurt my business here... What a shame! The very King was nearly killed in his own apartament! That country rolls straight into Hell! Ñhop off my arm, that's an omen of the storm! Somebody's fancy the crown!"
In some minutes the tragedy in Rosa became the main subject of all discussions. First, nobody believed the news, but then another "witness" arrived and everybody started shouting, crying, creating different versions. So, when Edwin heard the story again, he was told that it was Prince, who was killed and that the King was only injured, but alive. What kind of injury could get a man who was poisoned remained a secret. In fourty minutes Clanter was already tired of this buffoonery, so he sujested Diego to leave the tavern.
Half-drunk, friends stalked around for a while, exchanging with stories of the past, trying to rebuild images of their childhood. Time was swooping away.
Daelinn
The Rosa
13:00

"I... I'll see..." that was all Luana could say. The healer rushed forward, ran across the door case, gasped, rubbed the hurt forehead, and finally found her way out of the Prince's chamber. Tears were close to start streaming down her cheeks, but she struggled to remain serene. For two long minutes she climbed the stairs leading to the central reception hall in the midst of Rosa. At the very top she almost knocked down one of two guards, who were taking down a body wrapped in black cloth. Lune understood it was too late. The healer faced the most awful of her nightmares - when you are near and can't help...
Another guardian standing in the doorway turned briskly and eyed the lady from head to foot.
"Sorry, I thought I could..." Luana mumbled something in excuse of her appearing there.
"Ah, YOU! His Honour would very much like to speak to ye," said the soldier in a lifeless voice.
"Sure..." Lune turned back to leave the place.
"Where are you going, Miss Britt? Ah, right, find His Lordship yourself before his wrath finds ye!" he continued bitterly following her to the next stair landing.
Luana took to her heels*. Down the stairs, back to where she had been a couple of minutes ago. To Prince John's rooms. Vexed and terrified, the healer brattled along the second floor corridor and burst into the chamber without any knocking. Only then she realised such behaviour was not agreeable.
"Oh, sorry, I'm so sorry... Er... How are you, Your Highness?" Lune breathed out, gasping for air.

--
* áðîñèëàñü áåæàòü
Parkan
(alongside with Daelinn)

The witch's hut
Meanwhile

The woman hemmed and leaned forward, catching her guest's eye. For a long minute she was watching him, trying to decide whether Eugene had really seen the spirit world he was speaking about or that was just a freak of imagination or rather a vivid dream.
"Ah... Ah well," Seril let down her legs and slid from the bed to the wooden floor. Straightened her gown, looked around, paused, reflecting on something, and then sat back, wishing to ask one more question.
"When you go there, do you get into a totally different place, the like of which you cannot find out there?"
"Hmmm... It is hard to say for sure. Depends on time and place. It is always night time there, as I've said, the sky is always dark despite the time of the day, with the Moon shining but no stars present. The Moon is of the same phase as it is on this side, by the way."
The mercenary leaned on the back of the chair, sipping whiskey slowly, his gaze was wistful.
"The landscape does not change there, and all the landmarks like rivers, ponds or cliffs are on their proper places. But man-made things may change drastically - misshaped, misplaced or just plain not there at all. Living things do not appear in spirit world, except for plants. But sometimes they too cast strange reflections in this sunless realm: I once saw a thick forest in place of a wheat field."
The woman's lips moved silently, a sign of disappointment (or relief?) was in her gaze. She stood up again and left the room for a while without saying a single word.
Eugene raised his brows, somewhat appalled by this reaction. Such a drastic change of Seril's mood was completely unexpected. He sighed, corked the canteen and sat straight, propping his chin with both hands. Half a minute later a jingling sound reached his ears. It continued, as the woman went on moving pots, glasses, vials and other ware in search of something buried behind all that stuff. Eventually, she returned carrying on her palm a silver-sputtered piece of glass, partially mounted.
Daelinn
(featuring Parkan)

Greenstone looked at the glass shard in wise woman's hands with interest, then caught Seril's gaze.
"Nice mirror you have... Want me to show my reflection trick?"
"Not that I'm much interested in your fancy, but what can you see through this?" she held out the olden mirror before the guest, waiting.
"Aww... am I that bad in explaining?" frowned Eugene as he rose on his feet and approached his hostess. "The whole thing is not about looking... alright, just wait and you'll see."
The hapless shapeshifter reached for the mirror and touched the cool glass, concentrating. A short breath, as if preparing to dive, and - splash! The familiar coldness surrounded Eugene, as he pushed through, being perfectly still - yet lurching sideways. The border between mortal world and the realm beyond met him with the familiar webby resistance.
"But what you are doing is exactly lo..." Seril's voice faded away as Greenstone, with some effort, finally squeezed through the strands. The mercenary's shape suddenly lost colours and solidity as if dissolving into thin air. The ghostly image lingered for a while until it vanished completely.
The mirror, which the woman had been holding in her hand a second before, rattled down on the wooden flooring. The room was empty - just as she had left it that morning. No one around. No movement in the next room. No sound heard from outside either. The encounter by the forest pond might have been a mare's-nest but for the stuff that was left lying by the table. A backpack, a pretty worn round shield, a long sword in a leatherclad scabbard, and a helmet on top of this pile. A flask – at the lady's best guess – of some strong drink abandoned near an empty plate.
"Good Mother, how..." Seril sank to the floor, her stiff green gaze set upon the vicious union of steel and glass, by chance unbroken.
Îëîðèí
(together with Daelinn)

The Rosa
13:10

"Is it true, Luana?" asked quietly Prince, when the healer entered the room. He was seating on his bed, looking at one point on the wall, with a set expression on his face.
The healer stood still, breathing hard, trying to find words of consolation and... excuse.
"Sorry..." she murmured. "I'm so sorry for your... His Majesty..."
"They say, His Honour wishes to speak to me, but I am not to blame, no, I'm not!" the lady cried out, approaching the poor sick guy, her hands clasped at her chest in a pleading gesture.
"Em..." Prince seemed to be amazed. "Are you suspected of this?.. Why?!"
Lune sighed with relief. At least one man didn't consider her a naughty criminal for high treason.
"They... the guardians looked at me so strange, they must know something..." she stopped short, realizing how the words sounded.
"Er, they must have their own reasons to believe it was me," Lune continued. She hardly understood what nonsense she was talking. Nobody had accused the healer yet, not even by a word or an insinuation...
"And... Don't you think, that you are worriing for just no reason? Anyway, I believe that you're absolutely innocent. I'll try to talk to lord Keran about this affairs, I'll try to help you, if there is some danger... If only I can", John realized that it was a very difficult task to do anything against Keran's will, but maybe... Anyway he was a Prince.
"Thanks, milord... Your Highness!" Luana didn't believe her luck. "But where... can I... how shall I live till then?" she was asking herself rather than the noble young man before her. The worm of doubt lifted up its head once again.
Prince shook his shoulders. He didn't know what to do and what to advise to the healer but he really didn't want her to suffer from Keran for this terrible crime.
"Well... In my opinion, you should try not to meet lord Kessertin and his people untill I speak to him and tell you the results of our conversation. Maybe you'd better leave Rosa... But, on the other hand, that can improve suspicions. So this is an extreme measure... You mustn't use it untill you're sure that you're endangered. Are you?"
"I don't know," babbled once brilliant royal healer, now crushed by suspicion and dislike of some of the great ones of this world. Luana levelled her gaze, looking at the Prince in sudden amazement. He's lost his parents, but now tries to comfort her instead of racking his brains over his own sad fate. And yet, it was right. To think of others' problems, rather than cry over yours... "But yes, these are wise words, Your Highness. I shall return to my usual quiet life, although with no more people gathering in the central square in the evenings... But, oh, how do you feel? I mean, do you need medicine, or help? Wait! I'll fetch some sedative herbs to soothe your pain..." the young lady's face was pale.
"Thank, that isn't necessary. I feel pretty good, better than usually. I'm even sure that I'll be able to survive till evening without your invaluable help". Prince John tried to smile. "I think, you can leave me and try to solve your own problems. Anyway, I have to talk to His Lordship. He might come here soon."
"I see," Lune dropped a quick curtsey. "I will disturb Your Highness no more." Two seconds later she was gone.
Daelinn
Somewhere in the city
13:25

The meal tasted ash. The wine was sour. This godforsaken land was growing hateful to the old man. Although the stranger who named himself Almir looked handsome enough, he was already quite advanced in years. His acute eyes were often clouded by weariness, movements became slower, but those signs of weakness he concealed skilfully under his large black cloak.

Veon rose from the bench, leaving a sterling at the table, and headed to the streets. The heat was rising - the hottest time of day was drawing near. A quick gaze around from under the hat's brims - the man spotted someone who could serve him for the deal he charged with. Almir called up a boy, who had been wandering near aimlessly, and leaned over him, whispering.
"D'u wanna some money for little trinkets?"
The small guy pricked up his ears.
"See this scroll? Before the nightfall it must be handed to Sir Ganlen. Poor lad, he was a courtier once, but now lives by himself, all alone, near the Rosa palace. Here's a sterling, Ganlen'll probably give you some more."
The lad nodded so violently that it seemed his head would come off.
"Sure, milord, quickest possible, milord!"
"If he doesn't receive it, I'll be sure to getcha and explain to you how impolite it is to deceive elders." Almir smiled with only angles of his mouth. His voice was entirely devoid of expression, but the promise itself sounded ominous. The man looked mysterious enough to make anyone believe in his words.
"Ye.. yesss..." the boy was already not so sure whether he really wanted the money to risk his health, but the consent had been given with no way recede.
Almir placed the scroll and a silver coin in hands of the newly engaged messenger and walked away. Soon his cloak disappeared round the corner.
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
The Rosa
13:30

Lune shut the door behind her and leaned against it, looking around with a hunted gaze and unable to make a step forward. Although the conversation with John made her see some light after all, she felt needless and very lonely within these stone walls, that had no resemblance to the flower which name they bore. There, all around the Rosa and much further, in the town itself - nowhere could she feel safe. But good heavens, was it not her mere imagination and overexcitement? Perhaps it just seems to be so bad, while nobody actually accuses the royal healer of the crime committed?
“Find her! Catch her!” – Guardsmen rumbled by corridors. – “Stop by the name of the Law!”
The young lady gasped, clenched her little fists and for a long second couldn't make up her mind where to rush. The voices seemed to be coming from everywhere. But soon the loud jingle of the guards' armour set the direction for her - to the left, then straight ahead past the library, and down the stairs, down, down, down... Then ahead again, towards the kitchen and numerous servants rooms.
“Good day, our dear healer” – lord Kessertin appeared behind Luana’s back from nothing – “Do you hurry to somewhere? Maybe you will promenade with me?”
The voice of lord of Keran was calm but strong, his hand squeeze Luana’s elbow as a grip.
Lune froze in place. His Honour's presence, usually somewhat annoying and unpleasant, now felt unclean and deadly.
"Ww... Why... I m-mean, s-s-sure, milord..." the healer went pale, but resolution shined in her eyes. In an unconceivable effort, she twitched her hand out of the Councillor's clutch and dashed off nearly screaming in terror.
“How irresponsible”- lord shirked.
Kessertin descended to the garter-knee and raised right hand with massive bracelet. Something clicked. Running Luana fell flat on her back.

(and Daelinn)
Parkan
The witch's hut

Diving into the mirror, Eugene was a bit afraid of what he could find in the Spirit world. The last thing he would like to find was a sickly rotten cell in place of the house. Thankfully, it was not so - even in this realm the dwelling was tidy, cared for and actually seemed to be rather cosy. A small smile crept on the mercenary's face - he strongly disliked the idea of getting mixed up with a witch (true one of the worst kind). Letting a sigh of relief, he decided to go outside and have a look around.
Actually, it was the first time Eugene went through the mirror so close to a town. Usually he chose secluded spots away from people to avoid unwanted attention. Now he found out it was a wise notion - the town represented itself as a solid mass of buildings, huddled tightly, muffled in thick strands of dirty webbing. A huge sickly-green cloud hovered above the town sending semitransparent tendrils of mist down to the streets. Something was not right there... definitely. The werewolf winced and shook his head. He circled the house hurriedly and, after another long stare at the menacing cloud above the unsuspecting town, went inside and closed the door behind him. It was time to return, the hostess could have already become worried with his absence. He stepped to the centre of the room and concentrated again, trying to feel the familiar tug beyond. It felt as if the warrior was going back to the surface after a long dive...

Eugene returned unexpectedly and instantly - ten beats of heart ago there was no sign of Greenstone, then the air became blurred, as if heated by some unseen bonfire, then - snap! - and there he was, staying in the centre of the room, as if he had never left it.
Daelinn
The witch's hut

"No, I'm not insane," Seril tried to convince herself. The words worked, but not so good as she desired it. "I must have underestimated the guy. That's real charms, aren't they? So he knows the Craft. But nothing of the Lore. Poor man."
Seril was gradually regaining her spirits in spite of the fact that time passed and Eugene didn't return. That was a good time to think of how to treat this "disaster". The lady got up, walked to the next room to place the mirror back on the narrow shelf, and went on to establish order in her abode. Dark hair curled flippantly round her head, but the green gaze was beyond a joke. Teach the guy good manners? How, Mother? But there's a deal, and she won't go back on her word.

If you don't know something, ask. If there is no one out there to answer, find. If one doesn't want to tell, earn his trust. If the price is too much, bargain. If the fee is doubtful still, stop and think. Never run a worthless risk.
And Seril was not going to. The guest was a wild creature to be tamed, albeit by his own wish. The woman remembered quite well what happened the previous time she engaged with non-humans. Not the way it is rumoured, but the way she could see, and hear, and feel herself... How many deaths will the world suffer this time?
ÍåêðîÏåõîòà
As the time was swooping away and both Edwin and Diego felt quite dizzy, they finally came up with the idea to return to Edwin’s apartments. Since Diego hadn’t visited his own house for at least a year, he has already lost the necessity of going there, so he decided to accompany his friend on Edwin’s way back.
Night was falling. Sun has been sinking in the horizon of wooden roofs and stone chimneys, so the streets of Areinor were slowly plunging into the twilights. Local merchants already rolled up, so only rare militia patrolls were flashing here and there.
Trying to avoid side lanes and alleys (where there was a pretty nice chance to loose wallets and lives) friends dived into the tangled city’s maze.
When they finally entered Edwin’s quarter, it was already night. Only the rare lanterns and torches were giving some light to the dark streets. Thus the strange orange blaze ahead attracted friend’s attention. As they were coming further and further, Diego felt the smell of burning. Soon the dead silence of the night city filled up with far voices and cries.
Edwin’s feelings were transparent as a glass of water. His face was literally embodied with bad premonition. And unfortunately…

…they rushed forward through the huge crowd of gapers, that surrounded Edwin’s house. Well, only a blindman could name it a house now, though. Huge tongues of fire were storming around, and it seemed that even clouds were ready to flare up. Some desperate militias and few random volunteers from the crowd were trying to extinguish the fire, but their brave attempts were totally vain...
Daelinn
(with Parkan)

The witch's hut
Day, evening

She suddenly felt some pricking on her skin, an unseen wave spreading from beyond the door left ajar*. Catching a vial that had fallen out of faltering fingers, the woman peeped out into the main room. There stood her ward, as if nothing had happened.
"Hey, ye," Seril poked her finger into the man's chest. "Why are ye standing out there loafing? Clean up the mess, quick!"
She pointed to the table and the mercenary's belongings round it, then turned her back on the man and retreated back to her chamber.
Eugene raised his brows again - the hostess acted as if he came back from outside the house. And she said nothing about Greenstone's voyage through the mirror, not a single word. Ah well, no one said it would be easy... The mercenary grinned grimly, collected his belongings and stashed them in a corner of the room, then examined the table discontentedly. Washing dishes was definitely not his idea of a decent man's work! But still, a couple of dirty plates and pots were obviously not enough to squabble with the only person capable of solving Eugene's trouble. Greenstone stacked the table utensils one on one in a shabby column, picked it all up and went outside - there was a basin in the room, but it was obviously intended for washing hands and face.
In a few minutes Eugene returned. He put the piled dishes back on the table, wiped off the scraps and sat back on the chair, waiting for Seril to come back from whatever she was doing in the backroom.
The waiting was long. All was quiet, but a thin current of fragrant air was streaming through the chinks in the door. Then a repeating tune entwined with the aroma, bewitching the tired listener by its rhythm. It whirled round him, whispering about serene sky, clear air and rich colours of spring shoots. When the last tone faded, the enchanting atmosphere started to dissolve. A dozen minutes later the hostess returned - only to see that the man had obviously fallen asleep right at the table, his head resting upon the arms. The order, however, was restored. Seril hemmed contentedly and touched the mercenary's leg with her brown shoe.

--
* ajar - ïðèîòêðûòûé
Parkan
(with Daelinn)

The witch's hut
Evening

Slight kick in a shank tore the mercenary out of his slumber. He twitched and jerked back to upright position, glaring crossly at the wise woman.
"You know, that's not my idea of how you folk sleep. Unfortunately, there's no other bed here but chairs or this rug... If I were you, I think I'd prefer the second option."
“That’ll do,” nodded Eugene somewhat sleepily. The day was really long, tiresome and full of most disturbing events. Accustomed to spending nights outdoors, beside a fading campfire, Greenstone had absolutely nothing against sleeping on a dry flat floor under a sturdy thatched roof. He rose to his feet, approached his belongings and fetched the blanket from under his worn backpack.
“I’ll make my bed here, if you don’t mind”, Eugene pointed on a spot in the corner of the room, out of the main path to the front door.
"That's your choice," Seril crossed her legs on the bed and watched thoughtfully how the mercenary was making himself comfortable on the floor by and slightly under the table, beneath one of the oblong windows that let in the light of sun, moon and stars through clear glass slightly coloured at the top. The windows were darkening now together with the setting sun. The woman rose and put a leather bracelet on the inner door handle - the bracelet slipped gently onto it and remained, rocking slightly to and fro. She then grasped a small bag from the wall hook by the front door and left the house, leaving the guest on his own.
Eugene was right in the middle of taking off his shirt when the door clicked and closed. He turned round, looking at the source of sound and movement, observed the piece of leather hanging on the door handle for a while and shrugged. The hostess's ways seemed strange to the mercenary, but he was not in position to question them. Obviously she had her reasons to go away like that, leaving her no doubt dangerous guest alone in her abode. Anyway, the day was really tiresome. After having his dinner Greenstone more then anything wished to be left alone and to sleep soundly for the whole night. He undressed completely, crawled under the blanket and let out a long sigh of relief as he stretched his tired legs. The last thing remaining was to check for the sword - as usual, lying sheathed beside the bed at the right arm's reach. A few minutes later the mercenary was asleep.
Daelinn
July 15th, year 361
Outside the townwall.
Night.

Another night fell on Areinor. It calmed and cooled the air, bringing rest to weared citizens. Light wind blew over the castle, singing in the carvings of the central Rosa tower, came down to touch closed shops and whirled up dust on the cobblestone pavement. Seril climbed to the edge of the forest and looked back at the town. Small lights twinkled far away in the palace's large windows, but all other houses were asleep.
The woman turned and went deeper into the woods. In the pale light Seril couldn't discern trees very well, so she had to stretch arms before her. Dry twigs crackled under the woman's feet. After a while, she reached the forest pondand kneeled by it, staring at the dark water surface with sparkling dots of stars far above. Seril sat like this for a while, not moving. Then a quiet chant came off her lips - a summon or a prayer, one couldn't tell.
"Gwerin eirias..."
Nothing changed. No sound joined the lazy lapping of water by the shore and whisper of wind in the leaves. She called again.
No answer came. The woman sleeked her hair and sighed. Then she reached her small bag and took out a small stone, all in tiny holes. Rising to her feet, Seril made some steps towards the placewhere the mercenary tried to find some rest this morning, stooping down to pick up tree grassblades. Returning to the water edge, she weaved them into a braid and put through one of the holes in the stone. The woman covered it by her right palm and brought to memory last day's events.
"Remember"
"Feel"
"Taste"
"Think".
She tied the grass to the stone and put it carefully into the bag. For another half an hour Seril juat watched reflections on the ater and recalled the days long past. When the night cold finally won over her woolen gown, she stood up and walked away, home, making a slight detour to gather some fereil, a blue nightflower.
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
Somewhere in Rose

Small chamber in the deep of Rose's case mate was lighted by trifling candle ends, but neither their poor view they are don't become dim, in the center of room was a old rack with a royal healer on it.
''Wake up, my dear'' the voice of his honor Kessertin was warm as a flame of executer ''Wake up!''
Lord Keran slapped in the face of Luana: ''It is time to play.''
He smashed women one more time.
''Whh... what happened... lord Keran... what are doing?''
''A little experiment, dear healer'' – Kessertin take a small bracelet from the pocket of his mantle and wear it.
After that he put his hand with a new bracelet to the forehead of Luana and whispered:
''Asha-karamban-aram ... asha-karamlan-aram... asha-karamdan-aram'' – the hand of lord Keran became lighting dark red light
''No! Please!!! So painful! Nooo!'' poor women burst into tears.
''Asha-kara...'' recitative of Keran betting to Luana's mind as a hot nails.
''AAAAAA!!!'' young healer again fainted.
''Hm... too hard, I believe... so inadmissible flash...''

''...K...e...r...a...n...''
''How inopportunely...'' - lord slashed with his nail by Luana's hand till it bleeds, after that he dipped his finger to blood and turn to the wall.
''Aminaya-amina-juice'' – Kesertin draw a circle on the wall and breathe out.
''Keran...'' circle blazed up.
''I told you that it is unwise, to disturb me in the palace... the time of...''
''The time of Dance is changed!''
''Are you sure?'' voice of Kessertin was calm.
''Absolutely, the will start in dozen days!''
''I understand...'' Keran's body blinked ''how inopportunely...''
On the place of lord Kessertin stayed strange creature: tentacles, big, disproportionate head, weak hands... few seconds and the vision is disappear and lord Keran again stayed in his usual view near the dark wall.
Daelinn
July 15th, year 361
Morning

Burnt antiquary
By 3 o’clock that night firemen reached that quarter and brought down a storm of water on the burning wood. Reluctantly, the fire subsided, leaving heaps of black wreckage. Edwin and Diego pushed through the crowd in hope to find something that survived. All Clanter’s belongings on the second ‘private’ floor were destroyed, together with most of what he kept on the shelves in the shop. Wood burnt, metal melted. A couple of items that were held in the cellar most probably hadn’t suffered, but the entrance there was blocked. Another hour they spent digging through the blockage with the help of civil guardians.
After a short argument with Diego, all things that were of any value to the now homeless antiquary dealer were loaded onto a cart and hauled to the warehouse, which worked since early morning. At dawn, when most other citizens were waking up to start their usual business, two merchants got into the first inn they saw and finally had some sleep.

In the Rosa
Luana opened her eyes and saw nothing. Deep night around. She was coming to her senses slowly, recalling the last evening’s events. Something awful happened. Ah, the King... and his Queen. And the Prince again felt ill. And then... then... Failing to find any more than just dim reminiscences, the healer fell asleep for another hour. As Luana woke up at last, a narrow beam of light illuminated long stairs winding up above her head. When she eventually found herself able to rise, sharp pain pierced her limbs. Her back stiffened after lying on a cold stone floor, her body was beaten black and blue.
I must have fallen down. Shouldn’t have come to this cellar door.
Moaning, the lady reached her room and fell on the bed. After a while she even managed to find some ointments from her large healer’s stock and went on to rub them into the bruises and a wound on her left hand.

Ganlen’s home
“Oh, I can’t believe, just can’t believe it!” sir Ganlen muttered dressing up for the morning meal. The servant helping him tried to show some sympathy and asked what the hell his master was worried about.
“I’m afraid, I’ve got a semi-official reception in the Rosa today, can you believe?!” the man burst out at last. “She was so persuading, and little, and unhappy, I couldn’t but promise her something! Alright, I could just “forget” the promise, but last night that boy comes up and pokes this goddamn letter to me! I’ve lost my mind, for sure – it was crazy not to read it till it was too late... the little ‘postman’ could get lots of ice-cream for not telling about delivery... Shouldn’t have drunk so much last night, yeah, it killed my name, it’ll kill me some day. I hope the King won’t remind me of...”
“But His Majesty’s regent thinks differently of you, if it’s he who’s summoning,” Lofan managed to put in a couple of words into his master’s ‘stream of consciousness’.
“Regent?” Ganlen raised his eyebrows showing a most lively interest.
“Yes, Sir. Mr. Kessertin, Sir. The old King Robert is dead – poisoned, they say.”
“Poisoned?! Oh, my!” for another minute he posed as if his heart was going to stop. “But that’s no better. That’s worse! I can’t stand that gloomy fellow, who..”
“Young Prince might need your help. The boy’s alone now.”
“But his...”
“The same.”
“Oh..”
The next half an hour was unusually silent, before Ganlen saw that time was coming and started lamenting again.
ÍåêðîÏåõîòà
The current residence of Diego and Edwin, obviously an inn.

The morning was worth the horrible night Diego spend with Edwin, trying to find out if something of Edwin’s belongings that accidentally managed to survive the fire. When they finished and Diego finally reached the bed he lusted so much, the exhausted merchant fell asleep in a count seconds. The rest of the night healed him. Though the morning eventually came and Diego’s body reminded him about the past events with a sharp pain in his back.
“I am obviously becoming old”, - Diego mumbled at himself, desperately trying to put his clothes on without straining muscles of his aching back.
In a half-a-hour Diego finally came down to the inn hall.
“Good morning, sire”, the innkeeper greeted him. Short, far and hopelessly bold that person was a complex of the most classic innkeeper traits. Even his was voice was so innkeeperish that Diego eventually felt the strong feeling of déjà vu.
“It’s not so good but I bet it will become better if I insinuate my grumbling stomach.”
“Aye, mister. Here, take some ale while you’r waiting”, - the innkeeper handed over the board the mug, full of ale.
The hall was nearly empty due to the middle of the work day (“sometimes you can beat the habit”, thought Diego, who simply was used to rise at cock-crow), so when the merchant took a seat at the board, the innkeeper tried to start a conversation:
“Have you heard about that horrible fire last night?”
Diego raised his dim glance and focused it on innkeeper’s eyes.
“Aye, the friend of mine lost nearly all his stuff”
“Nothing survived?”
“My dear friend, I simply don’t feel like talking. It was a harsh night and all I want is to have a lil breakfast. I really don’t need to be reminded about my friend’s grief.”, - Diego slowly and patiently explained his current feelings.
“Excuse me, sire”, - the innkeeper withdrew, - “I’ll poke my wife to hurry up with your meal”.
Îëîðèí
It was the worst morning that Edwin could remember. Actually, the previous night was awful too. The hard work at the ruins of his house diverted him from painful thoughts, but then... Lying in bed he couldn't get rid of an idea that he lost everything. He wasn't to be starved to death now and he wasn't sorry for the money itself, no! But he couldn't get over a fact that the work of his whole life was destroyed in some hours. And that guy, a servant... poor of him. When Clanter finally fell asleep it was already morning. And the only dream he had was a burning building.
He woke up in two hours. Actually, the sleep gave him no rest. Edwin's mood was awful and he had a terrible headache. Nevertheless, he managed not to think of his loss. Clanter dressed up and went down to an inn hall. He saw his friend immediately and, asking no permission, took a sit at his table.
"Morning, Diego", said the merchant. "Frankly speaking, I don't consider it to be good".
Though he felt no hunger, Edwin asked for some food. His baleful stare disinclined the innkeeper to start a conversation or ask any questions.
Daelinn
The inn

While the two friends were sitting gloomily over their plates and wistfully poking forks into sauced meat, the city started moving. The inn’s guests descended to the hall, took a quick bite of toasts, and went to walk the streets. Time was close to noon, and some of them were already returning to have a more substantial lunch. Only now Edwin and Diego discerned some paintings all round the walls – books, candles, scrolls of paper, and a grey-haired old man with a crazy wild gaze on the entrance door, with a pile of hardbacks in his hand. The friends, trying to divert thoughts, started suspecting that the inn’s name was something like “crazy librarian”, which turned out to be quite close to the truth.
One group of a middle-aged man and two women occupied the next table. The women were mostly talking, and their companion just listened and looked at them, as if he was all the time resolving a hard task in his mind – which one to chose?! Diego glanced at them and showed no more interest, as in all other people, but then their conversation suddenly touched him on the raw.
“Yes, awful night, Liz, just awful! I couldn’t sleep, with that red blazing in the window.”
“Sure,” Lisa shook her head. “I wonder how dear old Jeremy survived – his milk shop is just next to antique! It is such a miracle that fire hadn’t passed onto the roofs a dozen feet away. You know, I couldn’t live without Jer’s dairies, we should take a wagon of them when we leave for Creeston, alright, Robb?”
The man got off with some “uhuh” and continued racking his brains over his secret dilemma.
Parkan
(with Daelinn, of course)

The witch's hut
Late morning

Eugene woke up late. Mercenary knew that for sure without even opening his eyes and looking through the window. He felt refreshed, his whole body full of vigour and strength. All consequences of missed sleep last night, of long march through the wilderness, of yesterday’s fit of madness – all of these were gone, any sign of weariness faded away like a bad dream. Greenstone rose to his feet, stretched himself balancing on his toes then reached for his clothes.
Seril, his yesterday’s saviour, was still soundly asleep – amazingly careless to the presence of a person like Greenstone in the near vicinity. The wise woman was curled up in childlike manner, hugging the pillow in her sleep. She definitely was not going to wake up any time soon – and Eugene felt a definite urge to have some action. He put on the boots, took his sword along with the scabbard and crept outside, onto the sunlit yard. Time to swing the iron for some time! Smiling broadly to the sun, the clear blue sky and the whole world, Greenstone started the warm-up. For the first time in many months he was tranquil and confident about his immediate future.
The door half-opened and then closed back with a light “tap!”. Eugene glanced back over his shoulder without interrupting the current sequence of sweeps and blocks, with polished steel sending sunglints all around the yard. There stood his hostess dressed in dark green, with a glass of water in her hand.
“Morning,” she said in a dull voice.
“Good morning to you too, m’lady,” Eugene replied after the last strike at the invisible enemy. He turned his blade once more around the wrist and put it back into the scabbard. Then the mercenary faced his... employer?.. sage paid for her services?.. ah well, let’s call it partnership for the time being... and asked: “So... Do you have any plans for me today?”
“I wonder whether I’ve got plans for myself, nothing to say ‘bout ye,” she mumbled, then yawned and continued grimly. “But… we could walk through the city, and perhaps have another lesson of good manners in an inn or two.”
Eugene winced at the words about "lesson of good manners in an inn or two", but refrained from retorting. After all, Seril more than any living soul had the right to speak like that. A moment later a glimpse of yesterday's venture into the Spirit world crossed Greenstones mind, casting shadow of anxiety on his face.
"City.. ah well. As you wish, m'lady... but..."
Eugene paused for a moment, hesitating, but decided to continue. It was hard still: he had to put into the words vague feelings and images brought by his bestial part, the very part he was trying to stifle in vain.
"Well, you see... The city... something feels wrong there. Do you have any news of the recent happenings in Areinor?"
“News come slowly here, you know, they aren’t eager to rush to my place and talk about it. A pub suits for that kind of thing much better… In general, people are dissatisfied with the King’s policy and stricter regime.”
"People are always dissatisfied, Seril. No matter how well the king rules his land, you can always and everywhere find someone grumbling and complaining." Eugene frowned and shook his head ponderously. "No, m'lady. I mean more sinister happenings... hard to explain... some disaster hovers above the city, flies above the rooftops and spires like a huge, bloated, menacing stormcloud..."
The woman stared at Eugene for as long as a minute, then said:
“You feel it, I see it. Citizens perish in the Rosa’s dungeons – Rosa is the royal palace. The young heir is very ill. Something’s very wrong with His Majesty’s court, especially with his councillor Lord Kessertin. He’s cruel, lustful and… involved in dark sorcery. What I was doing by the lake yesterday when you interrupted me, was trying to understand more of what he had done in the woods the night before that.”
Greenstone's brows went high up his forehead.
"Dark sorcery? Heh... sounds like some drunk minstrel's scary story. But," here Eugene grinned, "being another character of such fables, I am not in position to question this, am I? Well, let us go and see what those cords of green mist are attached to. I'll be ready as soon as you are."
Seril nodded assent and returned inside, followed by silent and thoughtful mercenary.
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
(et ma chère Daelinn)

Rosa palace. Kessertin's chamber.

A lonely man was approaching the central Rosa gates. He looked grim, more so with his gray jacket and same trousers. It was early and the rising sun hadn’t yet started tormenting all alive with heat. The man wasn’t old, nor was he young – an average middle-aged man in the street. He reached the stairs, where two guards crossed spears before him.
“Who are you and what do you want?”
“My name is Ganlen, I’m a courtier… former courtier. I received an invitation yesterday,” he held out the scroll, looking much the same as the one the guardians had already seen. Leir, who was again standing guard, looked suspiciously at the man and took the scroll, ran through it quickly and nodded shortly.
“Come with me,” Leir said.
Ganlen followed the guard into a hall with padded stools by the walls. The guardian told the ex-courtier to stay there until he notified His Honor Lord Keran and returned, and Ganlen had no intention not to obey. He sat heavily on a stool and stared straight ahead, his fingers interlaced and his toes tapping nervously on the floor.
“A! Sir Ganlen.” Lord Kessertin exited from the door of his bureau. “Come in, your Exelence.”
Ganlen rose - a bit too quick and awkwardly. Bowing hastily, he followed His Honour into the room.
“Some vine? I have got very… supportable year.” Keran smiled, his smile was calm, but something strange flashed in his eyes.
"No, thank you, Sir Keran, i've just had lunch," responded the guest.
“How do you believe, why I called you in to the palace?” Kessertin sit down on his chair near the work-table and sign to Ganlen on the armchair beside “Please, do sit down.”
"Er... Oh, thank you, Your Honour," ex-courtier was evidently loath to have a long talk. Yet, he came here to regain his lost position and hoped to pass this test. "It was said, I was wanted back at the palace, which I most unfortunatly left some years ago." Ganlen's voice became stiff.
"Exectly! Unfortunate chain of misunderstandings and stupid suspicions... this is past!"
Lord Keran made a pause.
“The time of suffer has come to our glorious kingdom, Their Majesties are dead, His Majesty is too young and too ill… the weight of power is too heavy for him now, that's why I became Regent of the King” Keran smiled “His Majesty and our kingdom need you, your experience, your talents, your hardworking! Do you agree to accept the title of Prime-Minister in HM’s government?”
Ganlen was sincerely shoked. The man opened and closed his month, failing to voice something intelligible. Eventually, he cleared his throat and said:
"It was a most unexpected offer for me, and I'm so thankful for that, but... do you believe I have got enough knowledge to rule the country in such a troubled time? I've been set aside from Rosa's deal a long time ago and..."
It was not clear, whether he really doubted his own skills or was just knocking up his price.
"Not rule... We will govern under the reign of His Majesty." Kessertin looked to the eyes of Ganlen "So... you want to drop your Motherland in this terrible times and go to your good, warm nest?"
"No, of course not!" the future prime-minister clasped his hands. " I shall do my best... And how shall I begin?"
"Very good question" lord took a piece of paper. "After the disclosing of this plot, I and the Lord-Prosecutor has got a lot of work, so... you should start by financial and administrative affairs."
Having found himself in a familiar world of admin, Ganlen started regaining his spirit, notwithstanding the presence of that awful man before him.
"Then I should first explore the papers - reports, budgets, you know, that kind of things. I'll visit the archive."
"It is not nessesary" the voice of Kessertin changed "I. have. all. reports. here. it. is. not. nessesary. to. go. to. the archive. we. could. solve. a lot. of. problem. here. Do. you. agree. with. me."
There was not any question in his voice, but it was so hard not to agree with his honour. Ganlen felt his mind freeze, then after a short while it returned to work, but a strange feeling of detachment overcame him. As if the courtier wanted to hear another man's opinion and do everything to comply with it. And that man stood before him... Then for an instant Ganlen's sanity returned, aching awfully as if he had dared to do something improper and now bears the punishment. Clear mind sank again not to return until late in the evening.
"Yes, Sir," new PM only muttered.
Daelinn
North-west part of the City

The walk proved to be long. A promenade of some sort, or rather a tour over the Areinor sights, which were actually few in number. Initially built as a trade centre for farmers nearby, it later fell in decay when the town mayors clashed over the entrance duties with the villagers, striving for money, power and the future harvest. The city was then reshaped by that legendary stranger lord from minstrels’ tales who united the lands and created ever strong monarchy with its administrative centre in Areinor. It was growing strong and powerful, attracting more and more craftsmen and merchants, who were coming up there from distant regions. All of them carried something in memory of their native land and embodied their varying cultures in art, clothes, and everyday way of life.
The road was winding through the Wood Gates round the city, counter clockwise, and the two strollers followed it to see as much as they could before the sun starts going to sleep. When Seril and Eugene crossed the river Avon, which divided the city into two unequal parts, a light pavilion appeared before their eyes. Its elegant roof was bent at the bottom, looking like a pointed hat with brims. A young couple was descending from there down the winding stairs.
“Spirit Archway,” Seril said, following the two with a long gaze. “But most people call it simply ‘the Arcs’. Silly forgetful people...”
“And what’s the story with it?” her companion uttered in response. “It surely exists, I guess. There must be a reason for such a naming.”
“And your discontent,” he added in his mind, but never said aloud. The name rang the bell in Eugene’s memory, but the coincidence was just partial, only an allusion, a faint resemblance, yet he found that interesting. “Good chance if it really has something to do with the spirit world,” he thought.
Seril looked at Greenstone crossly, as if he had said something improper.
“What will it tell you? Nothing.”
She pursed her lips in irritation and walked in silence for some time. But then stopped, levelled her gaze and glanced over Eugene as if she saw the man for the first time. She shook her head.
“Well, perhaps it will, after all,” one could hear sudden grief in the wise woman’s voice. “Listen.”
Seril turned, now walking round the pavilion, to the place where the stairs began.
“I don’t think you’ve ever heard the history of this land. The true history. Only a few know how Areinor became a centre so prosperous, even fewer – why it is now falling in decay. It is not popular nowadays to talk of old ways and legends, as well as of the first King in the dynasty. He was a wonderful person, that man.”
She sighed and lowered her voice.
“Our tradition – I hope you do not wanna know which ‘our’ I mean – says that Alvin came from my native lands. It rather far from here, I must say. So, lord Alvin tried to retain something that would remind him of his home, like many other strangers have done since. His newly crowned Majesty enjoined* carvers to make a decorated pavilion that would be solid but look fragile. They did their best, setting this construction over the bank of river Avon flowing to the forest side.”
They reached the rising steps of white marble. Seril looked up, grimaced and started the ascension to a place which seemed to be unpleasant for her. When both were up at the top, she approached the railing, glanced down at the foamy water, and turned round briskly, facing her companion. Eugene stood in the centre of the pavilion, frowning.
“There’s something over here...” he muttered, stretching one hand as if he wanted to grasp something, “but I just cannot reach it.”
Seril curled her lip.
“Don’t do that here,” her voice was stern. “No good.”
It seemed as if she suddenly knew quite a lot about the things that Greenstone had been trying to explain to her, much more that he could ever believe, even more than he himself understood. The woman then continued her story.
“In the years of Alvin’s reign and long afterwards, this place became known for its calm and serenity. People who came here insisted that they saw glimpses of shapes and shades flashing by. There were even lucky persons who alleged that while resting on the benches or staring over the running water they’d seen other realms, beautiful and enchanting, where everything was done at wish and at will. And they called it the ‘Spirit Archway’ – a passage to an illusory world.”
The man looked at Seril, standing with her back to the pavilion’s edge, hands griping the wooden parapet. She was living every word that left her lips, day-dreaming of the days long gone never to return.
“Silly people,” the woman smiled at something. She looked back at Eugene, the light dimmed in her eyes. “Ah, now it’s all tales which no one remembers.”
There they stood in silence, watching the city of Areinor, each one seeing different scenery.

--
* enjoin – ïîâåëåòü.
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
Prince's chamber.

“May I come in, your Majesty?” Lord Kessertin of Keran entered to the prince’s room.
Actually King's Councillor was the last man whom prince de Rei wanted to see now. But he had to. His Highness (John couldn't accept the idea that now he was already "Majesty") wanted to say some bad words about the etiquette of Royai Court, but instead he made himself nod and say quietly:
"Do please, m'lord."
“Thank you, sire” Councilor nodded to the young man “I am very sorry that I disturb you in this moment of sorrow, but some causes of our kingdom needs your attention”
"I'm listening to you" A shadow of interest appeared at John's pale face. He was so upset that he was glad to use any opportunity to think of any other subject but his trouble.
“First, I am glad to say, that by the last will of your royal father I became a regent” started Kessertin “Second good news, It is that we catch some of the plotters and now, Royal Prosecutor mmm… working with that peoples, they have already gives new names and places of the plot”
Kessertin gives a list with the names to the do Rei.
“Prosecutor and me… we thought that for investigation of this terrible plot we need a special commission with an extra-ordinary seal, do you agree with us, sire?”
It was hard for John to keep an imperturbable expression. But he managed.
"I'll be pleased to get your advice about some questions, lord. But I see no sense in giving you any extra power for the investigation. You have quite enough of it now. And I won't be glad to find out that you and sir Royal Prosecutor are too assiduous. I don't want anybody to be punished without judgment. Royal judgment, you see? And I do want you to tell me everything you find out. Let's start immediately. Who is suspected?"
"As your wish, my lord" lord Keran nodded "Royal chef admitted that he take a very specific spice from you healer and added this to the royal meals, your healer keeping silence, but we have a witness's testimony that she had some business with strange woman in the town, we thought that she gave poison to the Luane"
"Luana?" Prince looked amazed. It took him quite a long time to get control of himself. Maybe even five seconds. "But why? What for? I can't believe... I... I want to talk to her. As soon as possible!"
“Yes, sovereign, I was very surprised too, but facts are telling against her” Councilor nodded “As fast as we catch her you will talk with she!”
"So, she's gone", thought John. He was glad to hear that: young prince was sure that it was a mistake. And he knew definitely that it's better to look for a way out in freedom than in a councilor’s prison. He nodded.
"Did you want to tell me anything else?"
"Yes, you shall sign this list of this... possible suspects, this is just legal formalities to put them on the wanted list"
Keran gives to the prince new paper.
Prince looked through a list of names. He stood up from the armchair, walked slowly to the table, took a pen and put his signature. Without saying anything he returned to his place, gave the paper to Kessertin and looked at him.
“Thank you, your Majesty” lord nodded and slowly go to the door without turn back to the prince “I will be keep informed you if anything happened, sire”
"Inform me immediately when you catch somebody. You may go", John turned to the window showing that the audience is over. He wanted to stay alone in order to think about the situation in Rosa.
Kessertin closed the door.

(and Olorin)
Daelinn
Eastern districts

The sun was at its hight when Seril and her companion entered the commercial district of Areinor – the one where many local merchants lived and most travelling ones resided. The Avon carried here ships with goods, which were then transported to warehouses and from there further on to shops and stores. The roads ran under carts which followed the same lot. The area was rather dirty, noisy and crowded, but if one walked farther from the docks, people became more pleasant and tolerable, even loud cries of market-men were joyful, not rude…
…Just a week before.
Now the district seemed to be drawning in the sun-warmed thick air, the population down here looked gloomy and strange, glancing at passers-by with distrust, and bright sunlight only emphasized it.
“You feel it?” Eugene uttered suddenly.
“Yes,” she replied absently.
“I can imagine what it looks like there… or rather I cannot. It’s too fearsome to get to know for sure what’s the inside soul of this place.”
“I don’t ask you to,” Seril waved her hand, pointing to some spot far away down the street. “Some poor guy lost his house, heh…”
“Come and see?” Greenstone moved to approach the burnt sight, but the woman seized his hand.
“Wait… I know who it was. He’s a merchant, lives… lived here, ran a curiosity shop. Many wonderful things.”
She shook her head, as if regretting some of those antiques. The mercenary could easily imagine, though, that she desired something that was beyond her grasp… and wealth.

“Hey, m’lady, could you turn your face on me and answer a few questions?”
A harsh voice broke the short thoughtful silence. Both turned round – one briskly, a cautious expression on his face, the other smoothly, her gestures full of dignity. The man they saw was dressed in royal guard uniform, armed with a short sword.
“How can I help ye?” Seril asked raising a brow.
“Who’s your companion?” the guardian nodded at Greenstone, his lips firmly pressed. He was too angry or too frightened.
“Who are you in the first place?” she didn’t raise her voice, but emphasized the scornful sounding of the phrase.
The guy turned out to be angry, after all. His cheek twitched, his right hand grasped sword handle.
“I am from the Rosa’s Royal Guard, and my name won’t mean anything to you, bloody witch. You and…” he glanced at Eugene, “your accomplice are arrested and must follow me. You shall be interrogated in a more engaging atmosphere if you refuse to talk now…”
Seril smiled and squeezed Greenstone’s wrist. No need to show those things before rascals.
“Calm and quiet,” she whispered to him, in a short melodious phrase.
And turned to the guard. He must have made a quiet sign to his companions, because the woman’s dark gaze met a douzen of them, all formally dressed. She didn’t make guesses who sent them. She only wondered – why?
“Alright, I’ll answer all you might wish to know.”
“One by one, to the last I’ll go.”
“From cover to cover, the secrets it keeps.”
“But the brave one to open, will curse what he grips…” enchanting rhymes were coming down on the soldier’s mind, wrapping it into a comfortable dullness.
“We’ll come later,” Seril continued.
“Alri…” poor guy tried to mutter. The other guards looked at their commandor in surprise, but didn’t attempt to finish his job for him. They still stod there when Seril and Eugene disappeared in the streets of the neighbouring quarter.
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
«My lord? May I come in?” – Lord-prosecutor opened the secret door to Kessertin’s room
“Enter.” – The voice of Keran was like a glacier.
“Did his majesty sign the ordinance?” – Carefully asked lord.
“No.” Glacier dangerously hangs down over the prosecutor. “His future majesty believes that mercy opens the hearts of his peoples…”
“I see…” prosecutor nervously swallow “But what we should do in this situation?”
“You should work as you worked, this is just temporally misunderstanding between me and our future majesty.”
“Do you bring me what I am asked?”
Prosecutor assented.
“Yes, I found it in treasury” and he gives to Keran small silver thimble*.
“Excellent…” lord smiled, as a snake in front of bird.
Lord-Prosecutor breathed out.
“My Lord… I have a bad news…”
“What happened more?”
“In town, was an accident with one witch, she and her friend attacked our guards, soldiers was brave and courage but this witch bitted them all!”
Kessertin sniffed scornfully.
“Witch… This is interesting… Add her to the list of traitors, one hundred golden coins for alive!”
“Yes milord!” prosecutor smirked and go out.

Two or three minutes Keran of Kessertin sitting in his armchair and thinking about something, then open his table and take a casket what he bought. Lord wear s thimble on third finger and knocked along the casket.
“Omina… marda… Omina…”
Casket opens. Small mahogany wood stick lies before him.
“Excellent…”

* - íàïåðñòîê.
Daelinn
July 15th, year 361
Afternoon
Prince's chamber

(with Olorin)

Some hours passed since the visit of lord Kessertin. Prince John was sitting in his room and trying to read a book. Actually, he couldn't concentrate on the text thinking about their conversation with Keran. Suddenly he felt a terrible headache and weakness. He tried to stand up from a chair and go lay in his bed. But he didn't manage to reach it. He made only two steps, felt dizzy and fell down on the floor.
"Hey, somebody!" he tried to cry, but his call was not as loud as he wanted. But in a minute his footman entered the room and helped the young prince to lay down in his bed.
"Thank you, William", he said quietly. "Please, call for Lu...", Prince remembered about his own order, "...for a doctor".
The footman was a bit surprised, that the Prince didn't call his healer by name as he usually did. But anyway he nodded, left the chamber and ran to the room of Luana. He knocked. "Lady Luana, His Highness needs your help".
The answer came with delay. Poor lady herself was trying to heal the bruises she got somewhere this night. The memory was still blank, and Luana had no remembrance of what exactly happened to her.
"Yes, William, could you please wait a minute..."
The voice was weak and the footman could hardly hear it. Five minutes passed, but the healer still didn't seem to hurry up for His Highness's help.
"What is she doing? She could hurry up a little bit!" William knocked once more. "Hurry up, please, lady Luana! Prince is really bad, you must go".
"Me too", she wanted to reply, but only whispered it to herself. People needn't know about the Royal Healer's troubles. Five more minutes later she appeared in the corridor, with a bag in her hands.
"We can go, William," Lune said, waiving him to move along and trying to go half step behind, so that her slight limp didn't catch the footman's eye.
They went along the corridor to the door of Prince's chamber. William was hurrying and Luana had to hurry up too. When they reached the room, William knocked and opened the door asking Luana to come in. He himself didn't enter the room and took his place near the door.
"At last", wanted to say Prince John when he saw the healer. But when he understood who was the healer, he could only stare at her and murmur: "Luana? What are you doing here?!"
"Sorry?" Lune was surprised by the Prince's words. "But you just called me to..."
"I... But why are you in Rosa? I didn't think that you are here."
"Something happened?" the healer worried. "Oh... or had I promised to go do something for you and forgotten... oh my... I am so sorry, but..." Luana was embarrassed.
"No... But something really happened. Two hours ago lord Kessertin gave me a list of people who were suspected of the murder of King and Queen. I had to put my signature under it and to allow him to look for them. Look for you, actually, because your name was in that very list. I thought that you were far from Rosa, so you see, I'm surprised to see you here."
Luana froze in place, not understanding, and then slowly started taking it in. Yes, she remembered the Royal Couple's death, and... and strange suspicious looks that guards gave her, and lord Keran following her... In panic, Lune rushed to the door, but then stopped, clutching the handle. Turned back slowly.
"You need help."
"You need it too" Prince grinned. "What are you going to do now?"
Luana crossed the room and put the bag on the table near His Highness’s bed. Then glanced at the Prince.
"Could you send your man to fetch some hot water?"
"Sure", he nodded. He took a bell, rang and when William came in he ordered him to comply with Luana's request.
"What I gonna do..." she continued, mixing up weeds from the bag and grinding them in a mug. "Give you some treatment, at least for now, and then... are you... why do... could I ask Your Highness, why you do not arrest me right now?"
"And should I? Are you guilty?"
"Of murder? But no! How could I..." she gathered some leaves that fell off the bag on the table, and continued her work. The powerful su'uhr was gone, that woman had no more and wouldn't gather it, and the boy was ill... Doing what she could, Luana hoped he would hold out till a new cure was found, but now either prison or exile awaited the royal healer.
"So, what's the problem?" Luana had no opportunity to answer, because the door opened and the footman came in with a jug of hot water. He put it on the table and asked if he could do anything else.
"No, thanks," she said, pouring water into the mug. She stirred the substance and closed the mug with a special cover that filtered the infusion. Lune leaned over the bed to help the prince drink. Surprisingly, he didn't hesitate to accept her medicine.
William left the room, finding a place next door, so that he could hear his master calling. The latter was now lying with eyes wide open, experiencing the first effect of the mixture. Slowly, his sight was returning to clear as the headache eased. Yet, he still felt weak and could not stand up on his own. He turned his head and saw Luana sitting by, eyes closed, hands clutched on the lap.
The interrogation continued.
Îëîðèí
(with Daelinn)

Prince John looked at the healer.
"Luana, would you mind answering some of my questions? Do you know anything about the murder of Their Majesties?"
The young lady levelled her gaze, throwing dark hair away from the face with a weary gesture.
"The same things that all know. They suddenly felt ill at the feast and soon were dead... But I can't imagine who could've done it. You remember, I came to help you that early morning, and then made a visit to the kitchen to leave glasses and plates - and I saw nothing suspicious, the cooks were just hurrying up so that the dinner was prepared on time." She faintly shrugged her shoulders and was silent again.
"Kitchen..." said Prince thoghtfully. "And can you imagine, why Kessertin suspects you?"
Lune was watching her fingers and still aching scratches on her hands, and thought of all she did and sacrificed to her vocation - cure people.
"I did nothing illegal," she blushed, "at least didn't want to, but..."
The healer was now looking straight into the Prince's eyes.
"You might not know, but in desperable attempt to find something that would can set you on your legs, at least let you live!.. I found a herb that fought your illness much better than others. Recently... well, about a year ago by a royal decree, so they say, its gathering was declared illicit, but I went on buying the cure from a woman who... No, I shoudn't really give her up."
For about a minute Prince kept silence glancing at the picture of Rosa which hang against him on the wall. Then he sighed and looked at Luana again.
"I see... I'm sure that Keran had an idea about your contacts with that woman. And you were at the kitchen before the murder. These facts are more than enough if Keran wants to arrest you. Or to kill you. I can't understand two things: first of all, why does ne want to do it? He just dislikes you or has some reason to cover the truth about this murder? Or..." John made a pause. "No... And the second thing is why he didn't arrest you during this hours. Did you leave Rosa?"
"No... I... I'm sure I didn't leave it, although... last night's somewhat vague in my mind," Lune pulled down the sleeves nervously and clutched her hands again. "Me.... I fear him, Your Majesty."
"I'm not surprised... And what about last night? By the way, didn't you hear that Keran wanted to talk to you or maybe called you after the murder?"
"Talk to..." the healer shivered, an image of her running down the corridor and then darkness. No, she couldn't recall what happened next. She sat still, searching for hints again and again, but stumbled upon the same forgetfulness.
Prince looked at thoughtful face of Luana.
"Em... That's strange, very strange. I believe that you should leave Rosa as soon as possible. I won't be able to protect you from Keran for a long time. Do you have a place to hide in the city?"
"There are kind people, but... they'll know where to find me. Nobody wants the Regent's anger on his heels."
"And what about that woman, who sold the medicine?"
"I don't feel I can involve her, she's done only good, but His Lordship might suspect her as well... especially after she hides me. Yet, she could just help find some place..." Luana turned her head to the tall windows, watching the sunlight play through the curtains. More that any time before, she felt worthless and alone.
"Well, maybe that's a wayout. Anyway, I have no other idea."
Luana tried to smile. Then her look paused on the Prince' pale and exhausted face.
"Who will care for you, Your Highness? Aren't you not safe yourself?"
John shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe. Frankly speaking, I would be glad to escape from the palace myself. But for me it's much more difficult to leave Rosa. And I don't want to do it before I feel really endangered."
"I wish you will be able to, when you really need it... if you really need it," the lady whispered to the wall in front of her. She rose.
"I shall fetch you all the cures I can leave and tell how to use them, it'll help for a while, and then we'll see," Luana got control of herself and was ready to act. "I'll come in to say farewell... a bit later." She bowed.
Prince nodded. "Ask William to help you if it is neccessary."
He watched Luana leave the room, sighed and closed his eyes, laying sleepless in bed.
ÍåêðîÏåõîòà
An inn
15 July of 361 year
Late morning

Sharing fame with Olorin

Crushed with his loss Edwin became quite unsociable and barely was able to hear anything but his own thoughts. Diego made a decision not to disturb his friend, since he always believed into healing skills of Time. Useless to start digging into that quite strange situation (Diego felt it with his hips – something was wrong) until emotions rule over the mind.
“Yes, awful night, Liz, just awful!” –snatch of someone’s conversation accidently crossed merchant’s ears, - “I couldn’t sleep, with that red blazing in the window.”
Diego turned his attention towards to the next table, where few random folks were chanting about the past night. As he was listening their chit-chat, his doubts morphed into certainty.
“You know, Edwin” – said Diego, - “it looks quite crooked, don’t you think so?.. if I hadn’t smashed my nose few days ago after falling from horse, I could say it smells like a pig’s shit!”
When he noticed that Edwin focused on his mouth, he continued:
“Did you hear that?.. That city, that slum is mind of virgin. Her thoughts are so close to each other, so if one turns towards to guys pants, others become dirty too. I mean, how came that only your house was burnt to the ground?.. from when fire became capricious not to pass on neighbor roofs?..”
Clanter thoughtfully looked at his friend. It seemed that Edwim didn't understand his words immediately, but needed some time to realize waht Diego was speaking about.
"Well..." said he in some seconds, "that sounds really strange. But I... Actually, I have notning to say, Diego. How can it be?"
Merchant’s lips formed a foul grin.
“Don’t be so naïve, amigo. You had a proper business with some nice income. I bet there was some sort of envy rival. You know… some fellow that wouldn’t mind you to disappear. Say, in totally accident fire.”
"It's a nice "accident fire". I can imagine none of my rivals setting fire on my house and taking care of my neighbours. And let a Sea Devil eat me, if I see a single opportunity to do that. Maybe, there are some, but I consider them to be too complicated for my rivals." The excitement of investigation even made him forget that it was his house burnt. "I can easier imagine that it was an act of one of my clents..."
Diego shrugged, making a sip from mug with ale.
“Clients?.. why not?.. Do you have any suspicions? I bet there must be the catch”
Edwin stratched his head.
"You see, Diego, my client are... were quite famous and rich people. Many of them. And most part of my deals were connected with expencive and rare items. I tried not to do with any magical artifacts or something. T'seems that i managed to avoid them. But..." Suddenly he remebered about the affairs with the stranger and lord of Keran. Too unexpectable, too quick, too profitable - and the last one before the fire.
"There was a strange story, yesterday. Hopefully it's only a coincidence, as I would never like to have a conflict with that client."
“Well, that doesn’t mean your client shares the same opinion about your person. You’r officially dead (or somebody could spot us stalking around?) now and thus provided with safety. But you can’t be sure that will last long enough for you to die because of age. If there is a potential danger, we should come up with a plan how to deal with it”
"There's one more problem. I have some opportunities to get money for living and even for starting business again. But I'll have to become officially ressurected to get them. On the other hand, I prefer being poor and alive to being a rich corpse." He made a pause and then whispered. "If lord Kessertin of Keran or his people really want to get rid of me, I must hide. Or leave Areinor."
“If it’s that serious… ofcourse, I totally understand you. And you can count on me, amigo” – Diego nodded, - “you can always join my wagon, if you want. I just need to finish my business here. After that I am totally at your service.”
"I'm glad. Thank you, Diego. And what shall we do now?"
“Find you a dress that suites your new social status” - Diego chuckled, - “and then meet few desperate souls and sell them my stuff.”
Daelinn
July 15th, year 361
Afternoon, an hour later
Prince's chamber

(with our Prince Olorin)

Hasty steps were heard approaching Luana's room along the corridor. The young lady shivered and pressed herself to the wall. The steps passed by. She breathed with relief. Hurrying up, the healer put the remaining bags and packs into one roomy handbag and pulled tight the strings. She then packed another carrier bag, taking only the most necessary possessions. She wanted to escape unwanted attention from the guard at the gates... Lune only prayed that lord Keran had not ordered to arrest all people from that list yet.
Five minutes later the healer sat on the floor in the room she was going to leave.. for ever. Time to go now.

Knock on the door pulled the Prince out of the restless dream.
The answer followed after a short delay.
"Come in, please", heard Luana the voice of the Prince from behind the door of John's chamber.
The healer entered, quickly closing the door behind.
"Here are the herbs and other things for fusions," the first handbag landed on the table beside the glasses. "I don't know how to explain..."
For a minute Luana rummaged in the bag, thoughtful.
"Well," she pulled out a bunch of weeds, "there are labels to most of them, your illness will require this and..." another tuft came out, "and this treatment. Just pour boiling water, add several crumbled leaves and stems, wait ten minutes, and it's almost ready. Clear?"
Prince nodded.
"Now... the rest," Lune placed two firts bunches aside and looked into the bag. "You will read everything on them. When you need something for headache or butterflies in your stomach. Do just the same. And now, you'd better hide it all somewhere..."
The healer looked around the Prince John's chamber in search of secret places.
"Bookshelves, yes... You know, Your Highness, you are lucky to have so much time to read," she smiled sadly.
"Sometimes I doubt if my free time is actually a luck", Prince left his bed and unwillingly came to one of the bookcases. He moved some thick volumes so that some free space appeared. "Put it over here".
The young lady stood at tiptoe to place the bag where he pointed. Then, grasping another one from the floor, she freezed for a second, desperately trying to recall everything she wanted to say at parting. And just kept silent.
Prince looked at the young woman for a while.
"Thank you for... everything", said he at last. his voice seemed to have trembled, but in a moment he collected himself and continued in his usual manner. "Good luck and I hope to see you later, Lune".
"I don't think we shall ever meet again," she didn't say it aloud, but her wry face made it clear.
"Good luck to you, Your Majesty," the healer bowed and, carefully peeping out, opened the door and sneaked out of the Prince's chamber.
"One less friend in Rosa", thought Prince John looking at the door which closed behind Luana. He walked to the table and rang a bell. In some seconds his footman knocked on the door and Prince let him come in.
"William, did you see anybody visit me today?"
"Nobody but the lord of Keran, Your Highness", answered the servant immideatelly.
"That good, you may go now."
William bowed and left the room. John came to the window and looked through it in the garden. The day was bright and sunny, but the mood of His Highness was worse than ever. He had no idea what to do and there was nobody who could give him a good advice. Nobody whom he trusted.
Îëîðèí
July 15th, year 361
Afternoon
The Royal Library of Rosa

(a historical revelation for our dear master)

The Royal Library of Rosa had a very vast collection of books. It was a second treasure of do Reis, which they gathered during the whole period of their reign. Many people considered it to the best library in the whole world. The librarian was a wise monk about sixty years old. Books were his profession, hobby and the sense of his life. The only thing that he disliked in his job was the readers, their absence indeed. It was a complicated task to get a permission to work here and those who could read these books without any special document usually were not interested in them. And so he was very glad to meet young Prince John who spent much time reading books and talking to the librarian. That day was not the exception. When His Highness entered the room the monk greeted him heartily and presented his condolences to him. Prince was gloomy and had no mood to chat. He just nodded and said a couple of short phrases when the librarian was opening the door of the depository. John came in and walked along the bookshelves looking for something interesting. Finally he pointed on a thick volume on one of the shelves. Librarian took it and brought to a table in a reading hall. John thanked him and looked at the book. A long title was written at the cover: “Historia of glorious reign of His Royal Majesty Edward I do Rei, the King of Areinor, who is also known as Edward The Great”. The book was about 300 years old but nevertheless the hand-written letters were still clear and the pictures were still bright and beautiful. Prince opened it and started reading.
…It was before the beginning of our age, when His Royal Majesty Edward I, who was the first of blessed dynasty of do Reis to rule our Kingdom, was still not a King of Areinor. It is known that those times were very dark and mysterious period of the history of the State. Many nobles and their ministers were fighting for the Throne and only God’s will and the mercy of the Salvator saved us from the Apocalypse and the fall of Rosa. And as the prophets came in the times of Old Testament to provide the will of the Creator, so His Highness Edward came to become a Prophet of a new age.
The previous King died during the hunting, killed by an arrow of a man, whose name is covered by a mist of times. The anger of noble family which was kept earlier by the ghostlike authority of the Royal government broke out and grew into the kind of a civil war, one of those wars which destroy the countries even better than the attacks of the worst enemies. It seemed that the End has already begun and many wise people whose knowledge of the theology can’t be called in question predicted the near coming of Antichrist and the end of our being
”, - Prince looked through a long description of the war between some lords of the Kingdom, which contained a good deal of different theological reflections and the hopes of the author not to see the same again. At last John found the paragraph which seemed to be interesting. It was a story of a young King’s nephew who had no luck to become a King during those unclear times.
…So it was the Reign of Christ* when this famous but sad story had place at the castle of Rosa. Young Geoffrey was only fourteen years all, when the meandering road of his fate brought him to the top of the realm. The real power was actually grabbed by his aunt lady Katharine of Aerpshire. Never wondering the welfare of Areinor she tried only to improve her own power. They say that she wanted to marry His Highness and her daughter who had neither beauty nor good education which should have every young lady of a real good family. Lady Katharine managed to become a regent and to keep the whole power of Royal authority for four months. That was a really awful time for the realm. She made her minister a Lord Commander, and the intervention of neighbor Emperor turned to be extremely successful and a great deal of our lands was keep by him. Another slave of hers became a Lord Chancellor and nearly all treasures of the Kingdom were stolen by her relatives and allies. The list of her villainies can be infinitely continued and let the God curse her name and the names of those who helped her and let her be in the worst cauldron of Hell for ages and let her have no mercy and excuse even after the Doomsday**.
But the most awful of her affairs was that how she made Prince obey her. She was a real witch, what is known now for sure. She made some awful potions which she gave young Geoffrey as a protection from poisons. But worse than every poison was so called medicine given by the hand of that who wanted to seem a friend. His Highness who always was a strong and lively young man suddenly became sickly. He could leave the Rosa and as they say lost his own will. He could never argue with any decision of the regent and at last there was a formed a kind of addiction so that he couldn’t live without the daily portion of that very deadly substance. I do know it for sure as I’ve heard this story from my own father whose friend was one the servants which worked at Rosa during than dreadful times. The end of this story was even sadder than its beginning. You must know, my reader, that after the great battle near Brittsbrough the rebellion of stirred up folk and army stopped the reign of Katharine. Though His Majesty Edward do Rei showed an example of a rare mercy and wanted to catch her in order to judge her and execute her following the lawful sentence of Royal Court he didn’t manage to do that. The Highest Justice brought her to an awful death from the hand of a soldier while she was trying to run away. It was a proper end for her awful life. And hopefully her immortal soul was sentenced to have eternal sorrows in her Afterlife. It was Prince who was caught and imprisoned by His Highness. No doubt that the Holy Spirit would have spoken through the mouth of the judges if he had had an opportunity to appear before the Court. But it is very regrettable to say that he was found hung in his cell before the judgment. Let the God save and protect his immortal and innocent soul!

Prince stopped reading and looked at the wall towards him. The story seemed to be carefully chosen for John. He tried to imagine himself at the place of Geoffrey and lord of Keran – at the place of lady Katharine. The picture turned out to be frightening but clear. “If the history is repeating here, in Rosa, so what should I do?” asked he himself and could find no definite answer. That was a problem which young Prince couldn’t solve, anyway couldn’t solve immediately. He put the book back on the shelf, nodded the librarian and promised to come again later. Then he left the quarters of the Library and directed his steps to the garden of the palace. It was necessary for him to stay alone and to breathe some fresh air.

*"It was the Reign of Christ..." (lat. "regnante Christo") means that there was no legal ruler.
**äåíü Ñòðàøíîãî Ñóäà.
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
July 15th, year 361
City.

"In the name of the Prince! What are you doing here?" A tall pale guardian appeared behind the backs of a couple. "This is a forbidden area!"
"Warrant?" asked with dignity the dark-haired woman, turning away from the ruins.
"Ha! Smarty?" Guardsman grinned. "Here you are, the valid warrant form his grace, Lord Prosecutor!"
He waved the paper with seal.
"We need to ask you some questions."
And as an echo of his words, the dozen grey-coated guards were coming to site of fire from another street.
Seril's companion, frowning, moved closer, glancing sideways. The walk around the city was spoilt beyond hope. And this time the clash seemed to grow into a real trouble. Of course, two or three douzen guards were not a problem for a creature like him, driven to real anger, but it was the last thing Greenstone would do in the streets. He hardly settled down round here and the need to flee again would be depressing. And she promised help...
"Let me see," Seril readily approached the guardian who was waiving the rolled sheet.
"Ph, you can read?" the man smiled "Okay, if you tear it, I would..."
He didn't continue.
"You what?" the woman took the warrant and glanced through it quickly.
"Nothing."
"Lord Kessertin signed an in.. instruction... so if we are talking smut without reason with citizens, he fines us... Have you finished?" the guard lost all his patience.
"Would you invite a lady and her companion to have a talk in some more proper place? The nearest inn, for example?" Seril's voice was calm, self-assured and persuading. And she didn't show any intention to run away.
"Hm... it is not by the rules... but okay, let's go there."
They moved along, followed by an almost royal escort.

and Dae.
Daelinn
July 15th, year 361
Late afternoon
The inn

(Parkan's instructions taken into consideration)

“So what can you say in your defence?” the captain of the guard inquired.
“I do not see the reason for defending myself against the alleged crime I’ve never done,” the woman repeated once again with a bored voice.
The ‘meeting’ lasted for about half an hour, and neither side changed its opinion. The only useful thing Seril now knew was a long list of accusations she had been officially charged with.
“If that is going to continue any further, wouldn’t you at least order a meal for us?” she asked incidentally.
The guardian started, clenching his fists, a hardly polite impression still clutching to his face – that was supposed to be a civilised talk, but in the name of the King, he is not going to bear the witch’s levity and mockery!
“You confess to me now!” he yelled, springing to his feet and leaning menacingly over the table.
“How convinci…” Seril didn’t have the time to finish off the reply as her companion, losing most of his patience left, rose up to withstand the offender. One second, eyes to eyes, and of the two men only one would remain safe…
With a shrill cry, Seril waved her right hand so that it passed between the opponents, close to the guard’s face. He blinked, startled, and then, recovering, yelled at his soldiers who were already pushing in.
“Get them down!!”
Greenstone growled menacingly, but the chances were against him. Unless…
“No!” the woman cried out, and he didn’t know, whether that was to the royal guards or to his obviously guessable thoughts. The snatchers hesitated for a moment, then rushed to seize the disdainful couple. The latter recoiled until they reached other guests’ tables and the guards were forced to manoeuvre in between them.
“Could you please calm down, guys?” asked someone.
“Get him too!” snapped the captain.
“What is goin’ on here, eh?” said another sleepy voice from upstairs.
“Shut up, Di,” his companion tried to warn, but then one of the soldiers cut short his attempts. The man tried to oppose, until his capturer groaned and crooked down and some stronger hand pulled him to the back door.
“Ah, wait!” the one upstairs pleaded as he followed the suit, trying not to lose the bags he was carrying with him.
Seril raised her voice once again, in a short chant, but these soldiers were now aware of the trick and didn’t pay much attention. The whole company got into the kitchen area, the doors flung open, and hasted up to the exit… which was guarded by the second group under the inquisitive captain’s command. Those proved not that ready for the woman’s tricks, and stood still at her “Hush!” while the runaways speeded down the lane and disappeared round the nearest corner, leaving the guards only to wonder, “What the hell again was that?”
ÍåêðîÏåõîòà
+Olorin

After few hours Edwin and Diego were standing in front of the massive storage block. The name “slums” would be the most correct for that city’s region, if not the tons of various goods kept here.
“ That place never changes,” mumbled Diego, hopelessly trying to dust off his clothes, “like people, who were cursed to live here”
Before Edwin had time to ask what they were waiting for, clumsy commoner appeared.
“Here ye arr, Diego” chuckled clumsy commoner.
“Unfortunatelly me and my friend don’t have free time to trade chant with you, Jhon” answered Diego “so, please, hurry up and find my horses, wan and package”
“Oh, so we are going to skip the flirt part? What a pity!”
“Don’t force me, Jhon!”
“Alright, alright…” said the commoner and disappeared.
Some time had passed before they finally got Diego's stuff and got an oppurtunity to start packing it. Though Edwin hadn't left Areinor for about two years and hadn't had any practice of such an unskilled labour he was still a good assistant for his camrad. The memory of youth when he spent much time travelling all around the country made him completely forget the troubles of present. In some time the two friends completed the loading of the van.
"Do you have any idea where to go?" Asked Edwin as they were leaving the storage.
“I guess it doesn’t matters right now. As far as possible” answered Diego, from time to time whipping horses. “My seat will be much more comfortable when we leave the city”
Soon they left the storage area and finally joined thousands of commoners crowding the main street. Despite Diego’s attepmts to clear the way with his whip, movement notably slowed down.
“Good lord, that will take ages”
"Damn them!" Edwin was looking around trying to find some way out. He knew some other road to the gate, but now it seemed quite impossible to reach them. Suddenly on the wall he saw a list of names. The title said: "In the name of the King each citizen of Areinor must help to find..." He skipped some lines. "...suspected of the murder of Their Royal Majesties..."
"You see, lord counsillor and his executors are always working rapidly. I wonder if any of this people has an attitude to the crime..."
“Well, I just hope our names aren’t included in that list. Thought I wouldn’t be surprised…”
The closer to the gates, the more crowded it was. Inch along they reached the final line. City gates were guarded with few dozens of armoured thugs. Their primary duty was to check and rob everyone who was trying to leave the city. The God only knows whether they will let the wan get through or not.
“Here we go, Edwin” sighted Diego, joining the line, “let’s find out how lucky we are”
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
July 15th, year 361
Late afternoon
Palace.

“Lord Ganlen… I am very sorry that I trouble you in this moment but” lord Keran entered to the minister’s bureau.
Men stood up and tried to smile “I it is pleasure for…”
“This is disturbance” assured Kessertin “We need to discus small changes in coronation ceremony, Pri… His Future Majesty said that palace and city should decorate these obelisks of glory”
“Of what?” Ganlen looked surprised “But we never doing this! Why he need this? And how it looks like?”
“Like this” Kessertin gives to minister a scroll “Messier Ganlen, I supposed that you are good servant of His Majesty?”
“Yes.. but.. I quite don’t understand..”
“It is not necessary, milord, just do it!”
“Bu…” Galen wants to say something, but then he saw Kessertin’s eyes and finished: “By your command.”
“By His Future Majesty’s command. Very good answer.” Kessertin closed the door.
“So, what we have” Ganlen opened the scroll.
“Nine obelisks, three here, in palace, and six in the city, looks like not very complicated… but this bas-reliefs.. Victory and glory and ornament hm… wooden, thanks God, we will be in time”
Minister puts the scroll on the top of paper mountain on his table.
“I started only few moments ago, and it seems that Keran drop all of his affairs on me… it unfair!” thought Ganlen, but other part of his mind said him “Wanna to go back, worm? No? So, do your work!”
Men took a long breath and continued his paper-work.
Daelinn
July 15th, year 361
Late afternoon
At the gates

(With Olorin)

As the friends pushed through the crowd and approached the guards, they heard their grumbling about the weather, people, strangers, criminals who could-happily-make-money-somewhere-else and not in Areinor, it then changed to snarling "Who are ye?", "Papers!", "What's that filth in the bags?" "Papers on the load?", "Who's damn that with ye?", "Papers!", after which all returned to buzzing over the long list of names. The same lists that Diego saw on a house were pinned to the town wall to the right of where the merchants currently stood.
Now Edwin got a good chance to look through the list and read the names. "Luana Britt, former Royal healer", said the very first line of the list. The merchant elevated his eyebrows in surprise. As he used to have many nobles among his clients he was quite well informed about many gossips of Rosa. And as far as he knew Luana was one of the confidants of Royal family because of the Prince's disease. How could she kill Their Majesties? Why? While reading Edwin met some more familiar names of courtiers. But the last but one name made him gasp. The clear letters of unknown clerk formed the name, that he was never waiting to see here: "Edwin Clanter, antiques merchant". Mistake? He checked the adress which pointed at his former house, the description which was actually the description of his own appearence. No doubt... and no way!
"Di-diego, we can't go there", he nodded at the city gate and the guardians, who were checking the travellers. He shivered and nervously put the hood on. "I-i'm there, in the list!" Whispered he loudly. "They'll catch us! We can't go there! Turn back! We must hurry up!" His voice was trembling. Edwin, whose self-possession was famous among his colleagues and clients, was very frightened and couldn't hide it.

The Rosa

When the paperwork was substantially finished, Ganlen leaned back in his armchair with satisfaction and looked at the ceiling. Dark wooden panels high above were covered in thin dust and seemed awfully old compared to the Rosa’s stonewalls. Then he suddenly jumped up, recalling Lord Keran’s instructions.
“Here it is,” after a short while, the scroll was found on the far side of the large desk and re-read carefully. “I’ll should have someone do that… quick! Better send a messenger to that good old man Raesley, who’s doing the woodwork. Yes, he’ll get to the job by tomorrow morning with some of his folks.”
Ganlen reached to ring a bell, but halted his hand.
“No, I must see to that myself. The glory obelisks are too much important a thing to be left to discretion of a hardly literate artisan,” he said to himself.
The minister grabbed the bell at last, ringing for his servant (he was still not comfortable with this guy, being too accustomed to his faithful Lofan) to come and prepare a carriage for him. After the boy left, the lord rolled up the scroll, put on a hat and circled the desk. In the far corner of the room, a secret door led to treasury. Old Raesley will have nothing but to do the job real quick – half the money paid in advance. Ganlen was going to prove himself in this noble task to the Regent… and His Future Magesty, of course.
Îëîðèí
Land was swinging below him, hardly visible through a thick cloud of smog. As he eased down, the outlines of a city opened to his spirit’s eyes. Then in a second, the vision once again became blurred – this time by dark smoke coming from the east. In the darkness that enveloped him, a light silhouette emerged.
“Run, run!” a hoarse voice was following after the mystic shape, “Fool, no! That’s not the way!”
“Geoffrey… Here, Geoffrey…” came another one, persuasive and sweet… too sweet…
“Leave now!” the old man’s voice cut in again.
“Here, my dear…
The silhouette fell down, wavering, and disappeared, and in its place emerged its follower, black robes swaying in the unseen wind, only eyes twinkling under the hood.
It. Is. Gathering.
The figure hissed and waved a hand with numerous rings and signets. And drew nearer…

He started back and saw a darkgreen canopy of the bed. Some seconds passed before His Highness realized that he was lying in his own bed as it was actually usual for John early in the morning. It was dark in the room, but the sky seen through the split between the curtains was already not so dark. He sat down and looked around. Though he was not a single figure in the room, the ghosts of the nightmare couldn't leave him alone. Prince wiped his forehead wet of sweat and rang calling somebody of the servants.
"M'lord", William appeared in the room in some moments, "can I help Your..."
"Sure, you can!" exploaded the young Prince with anger - the troubles of the previous day and the nightmare made him very nervous. "If you couldn't why would I call you then?! Can you understand, you, s..." He suddenly recollected, gave a deep sigh and said in calm but a little bit trembling voice:
"I'm sorry, William. I don't know what is happening to me. Give me some water, please. And then open the window".
The servant passed him a glass. As the room was fullfilled with the light of rising sun, John had already felt nearly alright. He told his footman to come back later in the usual time of His Highnesses getting up. The young man was sleepy and again had a headache. John closed his eyes lying in bed and praying that it wasn't a new attack of his illness. Luana was far now and the Prince wasn't sure that he would be able to endure it without a proper medicine.
äîí Àëåñàíäðî
July 15th, year 361
Late afternoon
At the gates

A sudden cry ringed through the air, making the merchants forget for a while about their own troubles. A dark-haired woman was pushing her way out of the crowd, followed by shouting guardsmen. She was obviously about to be let through the gates when her name and appearance were recognized as those of an announced criminal.
"I did nothing bad, I served Their Majesties as best I could!" the lady was yelling, her once pretty face ugly with fear.
“Best poison that you gave to the King was a service too?” Guardsman pushed her with halberd. “Bloody poisoner!”
Woman fell down on the stones.
“I didn’t!” she sobbed, rising to her knees and creeping away from armed men. The people in the queue around her stepped back, having no intention to get on bad terms with the guards. “It is His Highness lord Keran who hunts me and casts aspersions! Prince do Rey knows better, he is the lawful ruler, not …”
She reeled, put down by another blow.
“Shut up, witch! How dare you?! We’ll teach you how to calumniate Lord Keran!” new guardsmen tried to bludgeon the crying woman.
"Don't touch me! Heeelp!"
The crowd swarmed around, uneasy with such revelations, almost blasphemous, spoken openly. Some tougher men pushed forward at last, finding resonance in there souls to the poor woman's words. The anger brooding in Areinor people from furnace heat all days, from inexplicable arrests and fearsome disappearances, from sudden Monarchs' deaths at last, was about to break free, fuelled by this open opposition to the dubious ascension of lord Keran to legitimate power.
“Hey, stop the beating, she’s helpless!”
“You should protect the people, what are you doing?!”
The voices rang from all directions, when the population of Areinor finally burst out against the royal soldiers in a riot. Beaten and trembling, Luana for a moment left alone.

(è Äàý)
ßñìèê
Ïðèêë çàêðûò, ïîñêîëüêó âûøåë ñðîê è îòâåäåííîå íà ðåàáèëèòàöèþ âðåìÿ òîæå, à íèêàêèõ óêàçàíèé äîïîëíèòåëüíûõ ìíå íå ïðèõîäèëî.

Ñ óâàæåíèåì, öåíçîð ßñìèê.
Îòâåò:

Âêëþ÷èòü ñìàéëû |  Âêëþ÷èòü ïîäïèñü
Ýòî îáëåã÷åííàÿ âåðñèÿ ôîðóìà. Äëÿ ïðîñìîòðà ïîëíîé âåðñèè ñ ãðàôè÷åñêèì äèçàéíîì è êàðòèíêàìè, ñ âîçìîæíîñòüþ ñîçäàâàòü òåìû, ïîæàëóéñòà, íàæìèòå ñþäà.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.